Star Trek mask
Masks are constructed with an outer hydrophobic fabric layer (poly-cotton), and two inner layers of 100% cotton (between 120-200 thread count), and are designed to minimize the amount of air that can escape from openings. There are three options for fastenings: twill tape ties that behind your head and neck; 1/4" ear elastics (unfastened so you can adjust to your own face); and 1/4" elastic that fits around the head and neck and is fastened with a cord lock (our preference for comfort and fit). There is a slot for a removable wire to fit the mask tightly around your nose (wire included). Each mask has a pocket for inserting a filter (one polyester hydro knit filter is included, you can cheaply and easily replace them with "blue shop towel" found at any hardware store). Fit is very important, which is why we have chosen to use this model. And note that at the vertical seams, there are four layers of overlapping cotton to make it as secure as possible.
To measure: The width measurement should be from approximately 1cm from your ear, over the bridge of the nose, to the other side 1cm away from the other year. For the curve, measure from the bridge of your nose to roughly 0.5-1cm under the chin.
PLEASE NOTE: These are not medical grade masks—please leave medical grade masks for healthcare workers. These masks have been designed to address a need, as identified by Health Canada and the CDC to help prevent wearers from transmitting COVID-19 to others. There is a lot of confusion about how well masks work, but what we do know is that there is likely some benefit to wearing masks. They will not prevent you from getting the virus, but they will stop you from spreading the virus on to others. But they must be used correctly.
- Before touching the fresh mask, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds using hot water and soap.
- When putting the mask on DO NOT touch the face piece, use only the ties or elastics to fasten it.
- While wearing the mask DO NOT touch your face.
- Masks should only be worn for short periods of time. If the mask begins to feel moist, then you’ve been wearing it too long.
- Before removing mask, wash your hands again.
- Remove the mask carefully, touching only the ties.
- Sterilize any used mask as soon as possible with hot water and soap.
- Do not re-use unsterilized masks, we recommend having a back-up on hand if possible while the other one is being washed.
- If it's not possible to immediately sterilize your mask, store it separately from clean ones.
- Make sure not let you mask hang around your neck or chin, and make sure to cover your nose with it, not just your mouth.
XS is recommended for children ages 3-6, S for children ages 7-10, M for teenagers and women, and L and XL for men. Please choose carefully as due to the nature of this product we cannot provide refunds or exchanges.
And please remember to continue social distancing and washing your hands. Masks are not a substitute for these life-saving measures.
For an excellent outline of the scientific information we do have on the use of masks, please see this video by Science Sam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzzVpp54HA
As part of our efforts to keep our communities safe, we will be individually donating masks, but you can also help us in this endeavour by purchasing masks for donation here.